Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Reversible Aprons While Ruby Naps


 I adore making custom projects.  It shakes up my design process and I always discover something new.  I like pushing myself, so when someone asked me to make their love of football into a fun reversible apron I was excited for a challenge.
      I personally am not into football. I know that in Texas that may be a jail-able offense but I just don't get it (unless its an episode of friday night lights, then I am glued to the screen).  That became a slight problem when I was asked to make an apron for an avid fan of Texas sports. 
      She wanted two reversible aprons, one for her college team and one for her pro team. I felt like I was jumping into unknown territory, it may sound silly but I was worried I wouldn't have the right taste to work with the material, making flowers and swirls look nice is different than football logos.
       First hurdle to clear was fabric, the official team fabric is expensive! 11-13 dollars a yard! I always like to get more fabric than absolutely required in case of mistakes but with prices like that buying extra isn't always possible.  If you are trying this yourself you may want to look into just buying the team colors and using the combination to rep your team instead of the logo fabric.
       I went to hobby lobby (they stock the local team fabric) and picked up two variations of logo-ed Texas longhorns patterns and one for the Dallas cowboys .  I sent a picture of the fabrics to her and she loved them, so much so in fact that she changed her mind and wanted two separate reversible aprons, one for each team!  This was problematic because I had purchased enough of the long horns print  to do one side of an apron, not both sides of a reversible! However, being forced to use what I had influenced the finished design in a great way! 
      For the first apron I used 1/2 yard of one logo pattern and 2/3 yard of another, just to have some contrast.I was able to incorporate a little of my patch work quilting into the design to best make us for any scraps of fabric  (this turned out to be the literal exact amount needed The only scrap I have is two inches long and an inch and a half wide yikes!) If you ever try this, just to be safe get a yard of the two main fabrics you will want to work with (you will have quite a bit extra, maybe you can make a pot holder set to match your apron!)
      Aprons are fun because you can create your own pattern with ease. I will put up an in depth tutorial for it after I catch up on work that piled up during this holiday season.  
     This project was great for so many reasons, I learned that reversible aprons are easier and less time consuming than one sided and I was able to mix in a couple cool design elements, like braiding the ties and patchwork edging!  Working with the logos was also a great experience, it forces me to pay attention to where on the fabric I am cutting and can even become a design element of its own.
     She loved the aprons and I have to say so do I!




      

No comments:

Post a Comment